Now I workout about 30 minutes, 2-3 times a week and I progress weekly.
So what's the difference? PROTEIN!
The three most important types of protein are:
- Whey Protein- It's the fasting absorbing protein making it perfect post workout and when you wake up.
- Casein Protein- Both Whey and Casein come from milk but Casein is slower digesting and naturally time released making it a great meal replacement and pre-bed snack.
- Egg Albumin- Before Whey Protein was introduced Eggs were the benchmark for all proteins. It had the best bio-availability meaning it had the best rate for absorption so it was given a score of 100 on the BV scale. In comparison Whey Protein is anywhere from a 102-150 on the BV Scale depending on if it's isolate the best, or a concentrate. Albumin is also great as a meal replacement.
The Most Important times to have protein are:
- Post Workout, there is a window where your muscles are craving amino acids, so I choose to have 40 grams of Whey Isolate as soon as I finish lifting.
- Before Bed, You are about to be fasting for several hours so it's good to have a blend or time released protein like a glass of milk so your body will not turn catabolic(literally your body eats muscles for their amino acids).
- As soon as you wake-up, Same as above, break your fasting state with some quick absorbing amino acids. It kicks starts your metabolism and feeds your muscles.
As far as how much protein you need, check out these calculators from bodybuilding.com. The amount we need definitely varies by our body types and activities.
I am a protein drink connoisseur and I have tried just about everything out there. My favorites not only provide top notch nutrition but they are delicious.
You can purchase these from bodybuilding.com ,or nutrition stores like Vitamin Shoppe or GNC.
- Myofusion from Gaspari, both the Strawberry and their Milk Chocolate-Blended protein
- Syntrax Matrix Cookies and Cream-Blended Protein, good for meal replacements.
- Syntrax Nectar-Fruit Flavored Whey Isolate, mixes and tastes great with water. This is the perfect protein post workout and in the morning.