Monday, May 21, 2012

Dining Out and Losing Weight

Dining Out the Healthy Way


I very rarely eat at restaurants on non-Spike Day's but when I do I am able to find healthier and lower calorie options.

Remember the most important factor for weight loss is calories, this means you can have higher carb or fat meal and lose weight as long as you are within your calorie range for the day. This is why planning is so important. You can factor in a larger calorie dinner but eating fewer calories for your other meals. 


When dining out I typically go to a restaurants website and look at their menu and nutrition information before I arrive. That way I am able to plan ahead a healthy choice instead of making an impulsive and potentially less healthy choice. When I find myself at a restaurant without prior planning I look to see if they have a healthier options menu and choose from there. If I can not find any good options I order off the menu. This may be uncomfortable for some people but know that many people do this and it’s not an unusual request.  Most of the time the best choices are to order grilled chicken without any butter or sauce and steamed vegetables. Many grill style restaurants have these as options already.



 Best Menu Choices

  • Grilled Chicken
  • Grilled Fish
  • Top Sirloin Steak – (“choice”& “select” instead of “prime” cuts)
  • Bison Burger
  • Turkey Burger
  • Salad (Dressing – low-fat Italian, raspberry vinaigrette, low-fat ranch)

Best “Side” Choices

  • Steamed Vegetables
  • Fresh Fruit
  • Baked Potato

Best Fast Food Choices

  • Grilled Chicken Sandwich (without sauce or mayo)
  • Fruit
  • Yogurt
  • Salad (Dressing – low-fat Italian, raspberry vinaigrette, low-fat ranch)
  • Sub Sandwich (lean deli meat) 

My Favorite Healthy Meal for Dining Out



T.G.I Friday's Jack Daniel's Grilled Chicken
with Mashed Potatoes and Steamed Veggies.


Healthy and Delicious! 

500 Calories
10 Grams of Fat
50 Carbohydrates
52 Grams of Protein




My Favorite Fast Food Meal

Wendy's Ultimate Chicken Grill & Hardee's Turkey Burger 












Wendy's Ultimate Chicken Grill with Sauce

390 Calories
10 Grams of Fat
43 Grams of Carbohydrates
 3 Grams of Fiber
34 Grams of Protein




Hardee's Turkey Burger

460 Calories
17 Grams of Fat
47 Grams of Carbohydrates
 4 Grams of Fiber
31 Grams of Protein







No comments:

Post a Comment