Tuesday, August 30, 2016

The Good the Bad and the Ugly of Foods and Long-Term Weight Loss




  • The Good: Any food can serve a purpose
  • The Bad: Believing that certain foods make us fat
  • The Ugly: Depriving yourself of the foods you crave to lose weight







I think it's time to quit labeling foods "bad" and "good". The truth is you could eat anything and still lose weight. It's "good" to truly enjoy the foods you love, and it's tough to fully enjoy what you believe to be "bad".

I used to have a very abusive relationship with food. I'd love it, hate it and then hate myself. Then I lost a bunch of weight eating anything I wanted one day every week.
Now, I'm of the opinion that all foods, even those high in calories and low on nutrients can serve a purpose. For example; the purpose of a donut is to taste mighty damn delicious.

The key is to be in control of what you're eating and your cravings.

So if you want a donut, have a donut, BUT have it on your terms. You want to make it clear to yourself that it's your choice not cravings or peer pressure.

Personally it was the "surprise" attacks that got me; like donuts at work. When I'd I give up "bad foods" in past diets and came across free and tasty goodies. I'd have an internal freak-out crisis. It was so hard to say no when I missed them dearly. Like the Mark Twain quote,
  "There's something about the forbidden that makes it completely desirable".

It's so true!

All food has a purpose, even if that purpose is simply pleasure.

Now when I bump into free and yummy donuts I have the power to say, "yep that looks awesome, so I will have one just like it on Saturday". I control what, I control when and nothing is off-limits.


I'm not trying to argue that all foods are equal. I'm just saying that you don't have to abolish any food or food group in order to lose weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment